I love creamy sauces like alfredo or carbonara but I don't like how heavy it is with regular pasta. When I have a thick and creamy sauce I like to use my favorite pasta substitute the zoodle. Since all of the ingredients to make the carbonara sauce is low carb I decided to make it with my zoodles. Carbonara is a creamy sauce made from eggs and cheese with the addition of bacon or pancetta.
It is one of my favorite "pasta" dishes because it is super easy to do. Since you don't have to boil the zoodles it is also quick and a one pan meal. All you have to do is cook some pancetta and then add your zoodles. Mix some eggs and cheese and drizzle into the zoodles and pancetta. It's amazing how creamy the combination of eggs and cheese make this dish.
Low Carb Zoodle alla Carbonara (printable recipe)
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 zucchini
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Clean the zucchini really well and slice off the top and bottom. Use a spiralizer to cut your zucchini into zoodles. Set aside.
- Place olive oil and pancetta into a large pan on medium heat. Cook pancetta until it gets golden and crispy. Add garlic and stir frequently so the garlic doesn't burn.
- While pancetta is cooking whisk eggs and then add Parmesan and mix well. Set aside.
- Add the zucchini to the pancetta and cook stirring for a minute.
- Boil 1/4 cup of water and let cool for a couple of minutes. Slowly add to the eggs that have been whisked to temper the eggs. Whisk in the cheese.
- Remove pan from heat and drizzle in the egg and parmesan mixture while mixing. Mix really well so that the sauce covers the zoodles completely.
- Cover pan and let stand for about five minutes.
Recipe adapted from Anne Burrell's Spaghetti alla Carbonara