Last week I shared my tutorial for my "You Are A "Bow"Tiful" Valentine. My daughter will be giving these out to her dance mates at her dance studio. I wanted to make something cute and delicious for her to give out too so I decided to make them little donuts.
I bought this cute little donut maker about a year ago to make healthier donuts and never got around to using it. I decided to make it simple by using some regular boxed cake mix for the doughnuts with a vanilla glaze made from store bought frosting.
First I turned on the mini donut maker and let it heat up. Then I took the mix and prepared it following the instructions on the box. To make it less messy to fill the donut cups I placed the cake batter into a gallon sized zip top back and cut a little bit of one of the corners. I carefully filled each cup and closed it to let it cook.
About 3 minutes later the donuts are perfectly done. I took them out and cooled them completely.
To make the glaze I took 1/2 of the container of frosting and microwaved it for 30 seconds. Carefully remove from microwave and stir.
Then I dipped each doughnut into the glaze and sprinkled on some red and pink sprinkles. I waited for the glaze to completely harden and them placed 2 in each cupcake wrapper with a pick in the back.
To make the Valentine Mini Donuts (Printable Version)
- Mini Donut Maker (or donut pans and oven)
- Cake mix (and ingredients to prepare cake)
- Vanilla Frosting
- Valentines Day sprinkles
- Valentines Cupcake Picks
- Valentines Cupcake wrapper
- Turn on the mini donut maker and let it heat up. Prepare the cake mix using the instructions on the box.
- Place cake batter into a gallon size zip top back and cut one of the corners. Pipe the batter into the doughnut cups and close the lid to cook.
- Check in about 3 minutes and make sure the donuts are fully cooked by testing them.
- Take out doughnuts and allow to cool completely. In the meantime take the frosting and place about half in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. Carefully stir with spoon until smooth.
- Take each doughnut and dip the top into the chocolate. Sprinkle on some of the sprinkles. Continuosly stir the glaze so that it remains smooth. If it gets too thick, microwave for about 10 seconds.
- Let the glaze on the doughnut completely harden.
- Place 2 or 3 doughnuts into the cupcake wrappers and stick a cupcake pick towards the back of the wrapper.