Growing up, my maternal grandmother always lived with us. She was the cook of the family and would always have dinner ready for us at dinner time. She never cooked with a recipe and always cooked by memory and with her own little tricks like adding enough water to the rice pot to make a spoon stand up. Amazingly this method always made the perfect rice.
Since her birthday is close to Thanksgiving we always gave her a break from cooking and cooked whatever she wanted. Even though the norm is turkey and stuffing for Thanksgiving my grandma always wanted to eat Pollo Guisado. It's tender stewed chicken thighs in a sofrito tomato sauce and always served over fluffy white rice. If you can't do without Turkey on Thanksgiving you can always do it with turkey breast meat :)
As we are deep in preparation for Thanksgiving dinner we know that the main dish will be Pollo Guisado. I wanted to change up our Thanksgiving menu a little so while I was shopping for the Carolina® long grain rice we have always used I saw that they had a Jasmine variety. Jasmine rice is known for it's fragrant and aromatic scent that is released during the cooking process. We made a batch of the Pollo Guisado with Jasmine rice and gave my grandma a try for her approval. It was a hit so it will be on our Thanksgiving table in a couple of few weeks.
Pollo Guisado with a Jasmine Twist
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into pieces
- 1 small potato, peeled and diced into 1" cubes
- 1 small carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp Adobo powder (found in most supermarkets in the Spanish foods aisle)
- 3 tblsp Goya Sofrito (found in the Spanish section of the freezer aisle)
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- Carolina® Jasmine Rice
- Add all of the ingredients into a pot and mix well.
- Simmer the Pollo Guisado on low heat until the chicken is completely cooked through and the carrots and potatoes are tender. While cooking, make sure to stir occasionally so that the bottom doesn't burn. Cook uncovered until the sauce is the thickness you like.
- Follow the package directions to cook the Carolina® Jasmine Rice. Serve the Pollo Guisado on top of the Jasmine rice and enjoy.