My sister, mom and I always celebrate Mother's Day by cooking together and eating at home. We usually take turns on who will be the main cook and this year it's my turn. My mom and sister will be coming over to my house while we turn up the music, get comfortable and start cooking.
We wanted to eat something quick, easy and yummy so we decided to opt for our favorite spaghetti from Barilla®. I wanted to try the spaghetti with chicken and spicy tomato sauce because my mom loves spicy food. I was thrilled that I got it so easy this year because I found all of the ingredients at my local Walmart. Plus, who doesn't love cooking spaghetti as a quick, easy dinner?
First I took the chicken and cut it up into bite sized pieces. I took out a large pan and added some olive oil to heat up. I added the chicken and jalapeno and let it brown. Next I added some white wine and allowed it to reduce for a little bit. Next came in the can of crushed tomatoes, some salt and other seasonings like pepper and oregano. While all of the chicken, flavors and tomatoes where cooking together I boiled a pot of water and then added my Barilla® spaghetti to cook. Once the spaghetti was cooked I drained it and added it to the spicy chicken tomato sauce and let it mix and cook together for a couple of minutes. Lastly I drizzled in some olive oil and added some Cotija cheese.
It was nice to not have to be in a hot kitchen for a long time or even turn on the oven. I got to sit and chat and laugh with my mom and sister and dinner was ready in less than half an hour.
Barilla® Spaghetti with Chicken and Spicy Tomato Sauce (printable recipe)
- 1 box Barilla® Spaghetti
- 4 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs, boneless, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tblsp fresh oregano, leaves only (I used 1 tsp dried)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 cup white wine, dry
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, crushed (I used a can of crushed tomatoes)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup Cotija cheese
- Place a pot of water to boil.
- While pot is boiling, brown the chicken in a skillet with 1/2 of the olive oil, oregano and sliced jalapeno pepper. After one minute, stir in the wine and reduce to half. Add the crushed tomatoes and one cup of water. Season with salt and bring to boil.
- Cook pasta according to directions, drain and toss with sauce.
- Stir in the remaining olive oil and Cotija cheese.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Barilla. The opinions and text are all mine.