This is the fourth part of the Quiet Book How To Series. You can check out my posts below to make the pages for part one, two and three:
Picture Page and Numbers Part 1 Page
Numbers Part 2 Page and Shapes Part 1 Page
From now on we will be making two pages, a front and back. The front is part 2 of the Shapes Page. The back page is part 1 of the Paper Doll Page.
- 5 sheets of 9" x 12" felt in light blue, blue, green, yellow, red
- Shapes 2 Page Template*
- Black Sharpie or fabric marker
- Fusible Web
- Sewing Machine
- Print out Shapes 2 Page Template.
- Cut a piece of fusible web large enough to cover the page. Place printed paper under fusible web. You should be able to see the printed paper through the fusible web. Trace the shapes. Cut each shape apart.
- Place each fused paper shape on top of a different color of the pages. You want each shape to be a different color (make sure you use the same color for each shape. Like all the heart's should be red, etc). Iron on, cool slightly then cut out shape and peel paper.
- Take each shape and iron on to a piece of felt the same color. Cut around the shape so that now you have a shape with two layers.
- Sew around each sandwiched shape using a straight stitch.
- Cut out the shapes from the template you printed. Place the pentagon and heart three inches below the top of the light blue page. Using the sharpie, trace around each shape. Go down 2 inches from the shapes you just traced and do the same for the remaining shapes.
- Cut Velcro into about 1/2" squares place in the middle of each traced shape. Sew around each Velcro using a sewing machine.
- Place remaining half of each piece of Velcro on to the middle of each sandwiched shape and sew around.
Paper Doll Page
- 4 sheets of 9" x 12" felt in skin color, light pink, dark pink and cream
- scraps of different colored felt for the clothes and trim
- small piece of black felt (or any hair color your want)
- Paper Doll Template (from Serving Pink Lemonade - scroll to the bottom)
- Fusible Web
- Sewing Machine
- Cut a 4" x 12" strip from the dark pink. Place on top of the cream sheet and line up to the bottom and side edges. Sew top of edge of the pink strip. This is the rug of the room.
- Print out paper doll template and place doll under a piece of fusible web. Trace and cut out. Iron on to skin color sheet and cut out.
- Place a blank sheet of paper on top of doll template. You should be able to see the doll through the paper. Draw on some underwear. Place a small piece of fusible web on top of underwear and trace. Iron on fusible web to light pink fabric and cut out. Peel off paper backing and place on top of doll and iron on.
- Design some hair using the same method in step number 3. You should now have a doll with underwear and hair ironed on.
- Peel off paper backing from back of doll and hair and place on top of cream colored sheet with rug. You want the doll to be a least 3 inches from the bottom. Iron on. Sew all around the doll to the sheet.
- Using a fine tip black and pink sharpie, draw on the features of the dolls face.
- Using the doll template and scraps of felt create some clothes for the doll. If you are using trims use the method above to iron on fusible web and iron on to the clothes.
- 4 sheets of card stock
- 2 grommets
- Take the two completed pages and sandwich them together. The numbers page should be on top and the shapes page behind. Stitch a 1/4" seam around 3 sides of the two pieces of felt.
- Slip all of the card stock sheets into the opening of the felt pages you just sewed. Sew the opening shut.
- Place grommets 3 inches down from top and bottom on the left side with the shapes page facing up.
- Attach to the rest of the pages using the rings.
* To print templates and printables: Click on the link, Download, then Direct Download. Save onto your computer where you can easily find it. Then Open the file, press File.. Print and pick the Actual size option.
** Stay tuned for my next tutorial where I will be making a page for part 2 of the paper doll page and part one of the barn yard page.