I love sewing things for my daughter especially during the holidays. As things are getting busier I find less and less time to craft. I decided to set out some time and create something cute but easy. This is what I came up with.
- 1/2 yard red velvet fabric
- 3/4" wide elastic
- White Marabou Feather Boa
- 1 1/2" Wide Black Satin Ribbon
- Scrap of Gold Fabric
- Matching thread
- Small Piece of Velcro
- Measure waist and add 8" (or more depending on how full you want the skirt). Measure from waist to length you want the skirt to be and add 2 inches. Use these measurements to create a rectangle that will be the pattern.
- Place pattern on top of fabric and cut out. Match side seams right sides together and sew a 1/2" seam.
- Fold up 1/4" from hem and iron in place. Fold up another 1/2 inch and iron and then pin in place. Sew all around using an edge stitch.
- Fold up 1/4" from waist and iron in place. Fold up another 1 inch and iron and then pin in place. Sew all around using an edge stitch and leaving a 2 inch opening.
- Cut a piece of elastic that is the size of the waist plus 1 inch. Insert elastic into waist casing using a safety pin. Overlap ends of elastic by 1/2" and sew together going down twice and using reinforced stitches. Sew the opening closed in waistband.
- Hand sew feather boa to the hem and cut off excess.
- Cut the black ribbon the size of the waist plus 1 1/2". Fold over 1/4" seam at end of ribbon and sew in place. Repeat for the other end of ribbon. Sew on a piece of Velcro to both ends of ribbon.
- To make the buckle cut two pieces of gold fabric into a rectangle that is 3" x 2 1/2". Cut a rectangle out of the middle of both rectangles that is 2 1/4 "by 1 3/4".
- Place rectangles together wrong sides together and sew around perimeter of rectangle using black thread.
- Pin "buckle" to the middle of the ribbon belt and sew all around the perimeter of the inside rectangle with black thread.