My family and friends like to get together on Super Bowl Sunday even though we are not huge football fans. My husband's birthday always falls around the date so that gives us the extra excuse to get together to celebrate. We have the usual American fare but being Latin we always throw in some Puerto Rican staples like chirraron del pollo instead of chicken wings and tostones instead of fries.
I wanted to take my yummy pizza dip and "latinize" it by adding some amazing picadillo with my favorite sausage from Farmland®. Picadillo is what us Puerto Rican's use to stuff everything! It is usually made with ground beef, pepper and onions, olives, sofrito and some tomato sauce. I wanted to make my picadillo extra special so I used sausage instead of the boring ground beef. Farmland® Homestyle Sausage is my favorite because it is gluten free with no MSG. It has a burst of natural flavor with enough fat to give it the best texture!
First I diced some peppers and onions and softened them in a tiny bit of olive oil. Then I removed the casing from the Farmland® homestyle sausage and added it to the pan with the onions and peppers.
After the sausage has browned a bit I added the sofrito. When the sausage was completely browned and cooked I added the tomato sauce and cooked it on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
I took a small casserole dish and layered the softened cream cheese and sour cream in the bottom. Then I added a layer of the picadillo and then topped it with mozzarella cheese. I baked it in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes. The cheese should be browned slightly and bubbly.
Instead of your ordinary chips or tortillas I used platano and yucca chips!
Queso Fundido Sausage Picadillo Dip (Printable Recipe)
- 1 pound of Farmland® Homestyle Sausage
- 1/4 cup sofrito (found in the freezer section or substitute a few handfuls of chopped cilantro)
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup olives stuffed with pimento, chopped
- 1 tblsp capers
- 4 ounces of canned tomato sauce
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Add the pepper and onion to a pan with a little bit of oil and cook until slightly softened.
- Remove the sausage from the casing and add to the pepper and onion. When sausage is starting to brown add the sofrito. Cook until the sausage is fully browned and cooked.
- Add the olives, capers and tomato sauce and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Mix the cream cheese and sour cream and place in the bottom of an oven proof dish. Add the picadillo on top and then sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the cheese has browned a bit and is bubbly.
- Serve with platano and yucca chips.