During my first year of teaching, years ago I was lucky to have a group of very supportive veteran teachers to take me under their wings. My school was broken up into 4 different academies and each academy kept together and took care of one another. I remember having one of our many lunches together and one of the retired teachers coming over for a visit with the most delicious dip I have ever had! I asked her what it was and what the recipe was. She said all you do is take a block of cream cheese, Italian seasonings, spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese and throw it in the microwave until it all melts.
As I was thinking back to the dip recipe I realized how low-carb the ingredients were. Dips are typically low carb but then you have the issues with the high carb dippers like chips and tortilla chips. I remember how crispy and stiff salami gets when you slowly heat it up in a pan so I decided to try it with pepperoni. It worked! The pepperoni chips where nice and crispy like chips and the perfect accompaniment to the pizza dip.
Low Carb Pizza Dip (Printable Recipe)
- 2 ounce of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp basil
- dash of salt
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Mix spices and crushed tomatoes together and set aside.
- Spread cream cheese onto bottom of ramekin. Top with sauce, then cheese.
- Place in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbling.
- 2 serving of pepperoni slices
- You can bake them or pan fry them but the easiest way is to microwave them. I take a flat plate and put a couple of paper towels on top. Add a layer of pepperoni slices. Cover with another paper towel and microwave in 30 second intervals until they are nice and crispy.