My husband and I have been really enjoying the Keto way of eating. I think that we have been successful because we don't feel deprived when eating food. Almost every time I am eating a meal I feel like I am not on a diet at all. I get to eat good fats that keep me full and give me lots of energy throughout the day.
Since starting this way of eating I have been researching recipes like crazy. I know in order for me to keep succeeding I have to find staple recipes that I can make every week. Also finding alternatives to what I like eating helps a lot too. Pasta was a huge staple in my house with us eating it at least three times a week. Pasta is something that everyone has in their pantry, is easy to make and very versatile. Pasta is a HUGE no-no in the keto way of eating so I have been finding alternatives to eating it. I have been using zoodles (zucchini noodles) for a long time but wanted something different so I tried cooking up some broccoli slaw that I purchased at Trader Joes. When tender and with lots of good marinara sauce it really does have a pasta texture to it.
Low Carb "Spaghetti" and Meatballs
- 1/2 package of broccoli slaw
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 recipe of Italian Stuffed Meatballs
- 2 cups Rao's Homemade Marinara Sauce (you can add less if you don't like it so saucy)
- Make the meatballs.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the broccoli slaw. Stir fry until the oil is soaked into the slaw.
- Add the 1/4 cup of water and continue to stir-fry until the slaw is tender. If all of the water is soaked in and the slaw is still not tender you can add more water.
- In a small sauce pan heat up the Marinara sauce
- When slaw is tender separate it onto four plates. Divide the meatballs on the plates and top with 1/2 cup of marinara sauce each.
What is your favorite pasta alternative?