My husband and I have been eating low carb for a few weeks now and it has really been working for us. It's easy when you can have whatever meat you like and cook it the way you like it. It is so easy to choose what meat to eat but then comes the hard part of deciding what side to eat with the meat. We usually had mashed potatoes, rice or some kind of pasta. Those three things are a big no no so I had to get creative in the kitchen. Cauliflower is an amazing substitute to potatoes so I decided to use it in my favorite mashed potatoes recipe.
The key to a good cauliflower mash is to remove as much excess water as you can. It is not enough to put it into a strainer and squeeze out water. To get the most water out you have to place the cauliflower in some cheesecloth and wring out the water. It is pretty amazing how much water the cauliflower can hold onto. Another important step is a food processor, ninja or blender. I find that the smoother you make the mash the the more it tastes like potatoes.
Low Carb Sour Cream and Chive Mash (Printable Recipe)
- 16 ounce bag of frozen cauliflower
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tblsp butter
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tblsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- Boil the cauliflower until it is tender. Drain and place cauliflower onto a piece of cheesecloth and squeeze out as much water as you can.
- Place the cauliflower and the rest of the ingredients, except for the chives, into a food processor and process until it is really smooth. Gently fold in the chives and save some to sprinkle on top.
What is your favorite mashed potato flavor?