I found these really cute colored lightweight t-shirts at a discount store for $1.99 each. I thought they would be perfect for another t-shirt nightgown for my daughter.
- Small Lightweight T-shirt
- Elastic Thread
- Matching Thread
- Sewing Machine
- Nightgown Pattern (click for instructions on how to make your own)
- Take the front bodice pattern and tape the short end of the sleeve to the shoulder of the bodice.
- Fold shirt in half and place pattern on top. Try to match the pattern and t-shirt as much as possible and pin in place. I lined the bottom edge and the side seams to the pattern so I wouldn't have to sew them. Cut along the pattern lines.
- Take an empty bobbin and wrap the elastic thread around by hand. Make sure to not stretch the elastic as you wrap around. You don't want it to be too loose either.
- Carefully place bobbin into sewing machine and pull up the elastic thread through the machine manually by turning the wheel and pulling up with the upper thread.
- Set your sewing machine to sew a basting stitch or a very long stitch length.
- Sew the bottom of the sleeve 1/4 inch from hem. Sew another line a scant 1/4" from the line you just sewed. Repeat for the other sleeve.
- Repeat the same process in step 7 going all around the neckline. This time you want to go around 3 times. You don't have to stop and start for each line. Just go around in a spiral manner.