This the last post about the DIY Abby Cadabby Birthday Party. You can see my previous posts below to see the other tutorials. I DIY'ed a lot of the items to cut down on costs. I also had a hard time finding Abby Cadabby stuff so I had to make it myself.
If you want to learn how I made the other items, click below.
DIY Abby Cadabby Birthday Party: Boutique Style Birthday Hat #Tutorial
DIY Abby Cadabby Birthday Party: Customized Party Favors #Tutorial
DIY Abby Cadabby Birthday Party: Customized Party Souvenirs #Tutorial
I always love making cupcakes at parties because they are so much easier to make and frost. I also like to hand them out right away instead of having to slice a big cake and hand them out onto a plate.
You can easily make the cupcake stand above using items you find in the dollar store and at home. It cost me about $6.50 to make.
This is how I did it:
- 2 big foam boards you can get in the dollar store
- 2 big poster boards you can also get in the dollar store. (I used hot pink)
- double stick tape
- 1 small can of tomato sauce
- 2 cans of soup
- 1 large can of tuna
- 3/8" inch ribbon (you want it to be wide enough to cover the foam board edge)
- hot glue
- 1/8" of a yard of tulle.
- exacto knife
- doll or decoration to top your cupcake stand
- You need 4 different round kitchen items to trace to make the round tiers of the stand. I used a small bowl for the top, a regular sized bowl for the second tier, a large dinner plate for the 3rd tier and a large serving platter for the bottom. Take each item, place on foam board and trace around. You want to trace the circles as close as possible so that you have room for all of them on both foam boards. Carefully cut each circle out with an exacto knife.
- Do the same thing on the poster boards and carefully cut out with scissors.
- Using double sided tape put little squares of tape all over foam board circles. Take the matching poster board circle and place top of foam board circles. You want the poster boards to cover the white from the foam board. Do the same for each circle.
- Take ribbon and hot glue around the entire edge of each covered foam board circle.
- Take each can and measure the height and circumference. Using a ruler draw a rectangle with the measurements you just got and cut out. Using hot glue, glue the poster board rectangles around each can. You want the poster board to cover the can completely.
- Take the tomato sauce can and put a lot of hot glue on top of it. Glue the smallest circle on top of the can. Make sure you center it well. Let it dry for a few minutes. Put more hot glue on the bottom of the tomato sauce can and glue the next sized circle to the bottom of the sauce can. Let that dry for a few minutes. Take one of the soup cans and place hot glue on top. Glue to the bottom of the second sized circle. Place more glue on the bottom of the soup can and glue the next size circle. Take the last can of soup and place glue on top. Glue to the bottom of the circle you just glued. Place more glue on the bottom of the soup can and glue to the largest circle. Place glue on top of the tuna can and glue to the bottom of the largest circle. Make sure to let the glue completely dry during each step before adding another layer. This way it it will be super sturdy.
- Take the tulle and cut into about 3" wide strips. Run a 2 inch bead of out glue right under the edge of the largest circle. Using a pencil so you don't burn your fingers add the tulle and pleat as you go along. Keep adding hot glue and pleating the tulle until you have gone around the entire edge of the largest circle.
- Place doll or decoration on top tier cupcake stand.
I would love for you to post a link in the comments section if you make one!