My daughter loves pasta and tomato sauce. I wanted to bump up the protein and the fiber so I sneaked in some ground turkey and loads of veggies.
Healthy Hearty Meat Sauce and Pasta
- Large can of crushed tomatoes
- Small can of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 6 button mushrooms (stems removed)
- 2 carrots
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 tblsp parsley flakes
- 1 tblsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tblsp dried basil
- 1 tblsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tblsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tblsp sugar
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Finely dice the pepper, onion and mushroom. Peel and grate the carrots.
- Place oil in pot and add all of the veggies from above. Saute on medium heat until the veggies have softened.
- Add the ground turkey and spices and mix and break meat apart until the meat is fully cooked. You should no longer see any pink.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar. Stir well and taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook on low heat for about 20 minutes. You want to make sure you stir it constantly so that it doesn't burn on the bottom.
- Follow package directions and cook pasta.
- Serve pasta topped with the completed meat sauce and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese if you like.